Gatsby 3.0: Faster Jamstack Is Better Jamstack
I've long been a fan of the Jamstack approach to building websites and web apps, and have long been a fan of Gatsby as my Static Site Generator of choice. I love it for a few reasons:
- GraphQL makes it super simple to query and combine data from different sources, quickly. So combining data from almost any CMS, database, spreadsheet is a doddle.
- The Developer Experience is pretty epic. Gatsby CLI is very much a fully featured developer interface in its own right. World class.
With that in mind, I was excited to learn about Gatsby 3.0 - the latest "big" release. I definitely wasn't disappointed. It contains some epic improvements, new features, and time saving benefits, like:
- 80% speed improvement in local development experience. It now only builds pages or processes images when they've changed. No more waiting out rebuilds of your full site.
- Incremental Builds is enabled by default. Previously this was only available to Gatsby Cloud users, or through bespoke plugins. Really excited about this as a time (and money) saver.
- Stronger core web vitals and higher Lighthouse scores. Core web vitals is becoming more vital - pun intended - to positive SEO effects. Remember, speed is a feature.
Check out the full list of improvements, and check out the v2 to v3 migration guide.