2021: Blog Every Day
Inspired by Pat Walls, I've decided that a good resolution for 2021 would be one simple thing: blog every day.
It's obviously a loaded resolution. Blogging every day would usually suggest a daily delivery of well thought out, often well researched articles.
But this won't be that. Instead, it'll be a stream of thoughts, learnings, and recommendations. Some useful for others, some more useful for me.
Few reasons why I'm doing this (and need to do this):
- For whatever reason, over the past year my writing hasn't just not progressed - it's regressed. Along with my presentations, and presentation skills. I have a few theories why, that I plan to tease out through 2021. Writing every day should help me get back to the days when I used to rank at the top of Hacker News.
- My existing blog is slow and low. Low on the number of blog posts, and slow in terms of how fast they come. Partially because they take a lot of work to remember, research, conclude, and fact check. I need a different outlet.
- Tweets get lost in the ether. I tweet/retweet as a way of sharing great content (and products), but it's less than easy to find these after the fact. A lot of these products are built by inspirational, self-funded entrepreneurs like Pat Walls, Daniel Vassallo, and Gabe Ragland. I'd love to support them more.
- The Jamstack is evolving fast, and I want to evolve my skills faster with it. This blog is a way for me to document what I find, and dogfood what I find. Random code snippets that usually end up in Notion will end up here instead. Hopefully I'll be able to share useful feedback with Jamstack-ers at Netlify, Stackbit, etc.
- I care about a lot of things beyond technology. I turned down a Culinary Arts Degree placement and an apprenticeship with a Michelin Starred Chef when I was 17. To pursue an Industrial Design degree. Then, I didn't bother with university. A lot of what I learned along the way influenced how I work day to day.
Tomorrow, the first post of 2021. I've no idea what it'll be about, but I'm excited about it.